Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Why I hated the ending to Paper Towns by John Green. Or, why I have deep seated emotional problems that shouldn't be taken out on books.

I will preface this by saying that I LOVE John and Hank Green. (A.K.A, the 'Vlogbrothers' on YouTube.)

_So MANY SPOILERS_
So, I was afraid of a book.
No, not like that, I'm not afraid of papercuts or anything.
I was afraid that if I read a John Green book and hated it, it would make the YouTube channel less enjoyable.
So I tried to read 'An Abundance of Katherines' by John Green, but it was so boring, to be honest, that I have temporarily set it down.
To give Mr. Green a second chance, I got Paper Towns from the library and I went to bed.
When I woke up, I felt sick, so I lounged on the couch, took a bath, took a nap, and then, I sat down with Paper Towns by John Green.
I'll spare you the details and I'll just say that up until very end, I loved the book.
I'm not known for reading mysteries, but I really enjoyed this one.
So, I liked it, sure, until the end.
The end was boring, and the road trip didn't pick up much, then there was this bit that I really didn't get with a cow in the middle of the road and they swerved out of the way. I think it was supposed to be a heroic moment for Ben, who saved their lives, but it was under described and over enthused about later.
And I just didnt' get it.
Then, it was just boring. There were parts that just said
"Hour sixteen: I slept."
\
"Hour seventeen: I slept. We stopped for doughnuts,"
And then it picked up again! And they found Margo! And then Margo turned out to be a self centered brat who is 110 percent different than what anyone thought her to be. It was a cop out, and then they separated and then she kisses Q.
It was lame.
But I decided something.

_ Spoiler Free part _

I hated the end to Paper Towns, like I hated the end to Mockingjay.
It was rushed, and boring.
But also, I loved the characters so much, that I really didn't want it to end therefore, my conclusion is that I have deep seated emotional problems with goodbyes.
Yeah, that works better than saying that it was a bad ending. I think.


Please enjoy the above Vlogbrothers video. :)
Yeah, no less entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment